Attorney Mark B. Grzymala has over fifteen years of experience and focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, mechanics liens, construction law, and corporate law.
Through his years of practice as a Chicago construction lawyer, he has represented subcontractors, material suppliers, general contractors, owners and developers with respect to a variety of construction related issues including contract disputes and negotiation, construction defect claims, mechanics lien claims and foreclosure, bond claims, and construction payouts. He has helped protect the rights of various types of subcontractors including elevator installers, electricians, plumbers, excavators, masons, HVAC installers, roofers, drywall installers, landscapers, and carpenters. Mark is a Chicago mechanics lien attorney and has prepared well over 1,500 Illinois mechanics lien and bond claims throughout his career.
As a commercial litigation attorney, Mark represents other clients in collection matters, judgment enforcement, as well as evictions and other business disputes.
Mark is licensed to practice in the State of Illinois and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois since 2001.
He is active in local bar associations and is a member of the Chicago Bar Association (Member of the, Committee on Real Property, Construction Law and Mechanics Liens), the Illinois State Bar Association and the American Bar Association (Member of the Construction Law Forum).
Mark graduated from the Chicago-Kent School of Law in Chicago in 2001, where he also earned a certificate in Comparative and International Law. Prior to that he received a B.A. in Political Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1998.
Mark served as Vice President and board member of the Polish American Contractors Builders Association (PACBA) for the terms 2011-2013 and again from 2015-2016.
He is a member of the Illinois Division of the Polish American Congress where he also serves on the board of directors and is chairman of the by-laws committee.
Mark is also Vice President and Board Member of Pod 1 Dachem, NFP or Under One Roof which is an Illinois non-profit organization formed in March 2016 and comprised of Polish-American owned businesses. Membership in the organization to limited to one business from each profession or field. The goals of Pod 1 Dachem are to promote and support each other’s businesses and to have all services a business would need under one roof.
Mark is also a member of the Polish American Chamber of Commerce and the Northbrook Chamber of Commerce.
He previously served on the board of directors and was the president of both The Landings Condominium Assn. Bldg. K, Inc. and The Landings Homeowners Association which has almost 1,000 residents.
Mark also believes that everyone should have access to proper legal representation and volunteers monthly at the Amicus Poloniae Legal Clinic operated by the Polish National Alliance. He also works with the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services and represents some clients on a pro bono basis.
Mark is also a member of and volunteer of the Polish Immigration Association (Stowarzyszenie Emigracji Polskiej).
Publications and Seminars
He is also co-author of two chapters in the Illinois Construction Law Manual and frequently posts on the firm’s construction law blog. He also frequently presents on construction law topics to contractors.
- “Construction Law as the Law of Contracts” in Illinois Construction Law Manual, West, July 2014
- “Construction Business in Illinois” in Illinois Construction Law Manual, West, July 2014
- “Avoiding Mistakes to Protect your Mechanics Lien Rights”, SubStance, May 2014
- Cash Flow – How to Make Sure You Get Paid
- Mechanics Lien and Related Rights for Private Projects
- Protecting Contractors with Mechanics Liens and Related Rights
- Prepared hundreds of mechanics lien and bond claims against various private and public projects throughout Illinois
- Litigated and brought to satisfactory resolution dozens of mechanics lien foreclosure cases in State and Federal courts
- Recovered $1.2 million of $1.3 million due from bankrupt customer for work performed on right of way along major Illinois highway by filing mechanics lien claims across several counties
- Recovered 90% of claim due national paint supplier from surety and general contractor for local public project after its customer became insolvent
- Recovered majority of claims four subcontractor clients who all performed work for a general contractor at a major apartment complex after owner declared the general contractor in default
- Recovered entire balance due subcontractor for work performed on a public project from local municipality because it failed failure to obtain a proper payment bond under the Illinois Construction Bond Act
- Defended homeowner against defective mechanics lien claim which resulted in dismissal of foreclosure action and release of lien
- Recovered majority of $150,000 claim due subcontractor from bankrupt property owner by filing mechanics lien against property
- Successfully defended developer from action for specific performance to sell real estate
- Successfully resolved encroachment issue which resulted in removal of fence from client’s property
- Prepared documents and successfully closed transaction for purchase of major local internet service provider
- Initiated and prosecuted numerous eviction actions to recover possession for commercial landlords
- Guided and advised dozens of subcontractor clients through the construction payout process preparing lien waivers and sworn statements
- Successfully advised client through termination of subcontract agreement after general contractor allegedly committed several breaches
- Successfully negotiated and implemented Alliance Agreement between the Polish American Contractors Builders Association and US Department of Labor / OSHA
- Incorporated and maintained corporate record books for several closely held corporations
- Co-author of two chapters in Illinois Construction Law Manual published by West
Mark is the proud father of two boys and in his free time enjoys music and spending time with his family. Mark also speaks Polish. Adwokat mówiący po polsku.